6/20/2012

Niko Cafe in Oakleigh - Two visits

So when I said the post for Niko is coming right up, I really did mean it lol

I went to Niko (or is it Niko's?) for dessert/ afternoon meal with my friends on two separate occasions, and although I did enjoy the dessert and coffee I chose from the first visit more, I still love to try new food, so I really didn't mind as much :)

From the first visit: Short macchiato, I think. Strong but absolutely wonderful. A perfect accompaniment for...















This wonderful Greek dessert!! Hm... Cinnamon dusted walnuts, fresh cream, (vanilla) chanitlilly cream (not sure if it was custard since the consistency would have been a bit thicker), then at the bottom there were these crispy strands - almost like "mee krob" drenched in syrup. The crispy texture of the bottom layer and the walnuts contrasted well against the two soft and creamy layers. Ugh I want more..








From the second visit -

Cappucino on a chilly afternoon was perfect. It was a good cappucino, but I must say the dusting on top was a tiny bit messy. Would have enjoyed a dusting in a specific shape or drawing like my bf had in Japan!













My friend and I were really hungry, so we decided to give this a try. It was not bad, but nothing out of the ordinary. Because of my Asian tongue, I personally found this to be slightly under-seasoned, to be honest. Eggplant stuffed with minced meat topped with Bechemel sauce and grilled. The salad on the side was fresh though! Love the feta cheese on top, since it was a nice punch against the crisp and refreshing veggies.








I couldn't stop myself... and got the Pistachio macaron. Didn't like this very much. Way too sweet and not much of the pistachio smell. They had creme crulee flavored ones too.. But then again. The only flavor macaron I have ever loved is green tea, which I have yet to find here in Melbourne.










This is a fruit and cream-topped cake with cream in the middle and encrusted with almond slices. It looked really yummy in the display, and the flavors were good, but again nothing to come back for. Mental note to try their Bailey's cheesecake next time. I have been eyeing that since the first visit, but always got distracted. Next time!!










All in all, both visits were pleasant! The greek dessert with the walnuts was memorable since it was something completely new for me, and the coffee is great! The vibe and atmosphere is nice, so I'm definitely going to go back to try more things ;)

xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment