1/03/2013

A Thai style Seafood BBQ Christmas in Melbourne!

Merry (belated) Christmas and Happy New Year!

For the first post of 2013, I wanted to share another yummy adventure I went on with my colleagues from the restaurant I work at. What to do on Christmas day? Well, how about a seafood ONLY BBQ near the beach? Heck yes!!

We were actually quite surprised by the number of people that came out on Christmas Day to have BBQ on the beach and in outdoor parks. The weather was  sunny, not too windy though slightly more cold than the usual summer day in Melbourne - just the right combination for an outdoor BBQ. I slept over my boss' place along with my other colleagues the night before (Christmas Eve). We watched Dark Shadows right before bed  - a very entertaining movie if you ask me - and the following morning I woke up to the sound of the stone mortar pounding the Thai style Seafood dipping sauce for the BBQ!! 

Without further ado, here are the pics to a STRICTLY "LOW-CARB" BBQ lol


The view near one of the BBQ sites - sadly there wasn't any space for us :(

The view at one of the BBQ places (which was way too packed - such a pity) was amazing! The mountains in the background and the color of the water was very calming.


Wahhhhhhhh so pretty!

Okay, now onto the food - now I didn't even get to take photos of everything we ate because they were too fast at eating - once something was 'ready', I swear the food disappears so fast haha



That was the trial round when we simply 'tested' the BBQ grill..


Well, well, well.

Grilled Prawns and Squid - nothing overcooked but just right. 


Meanwhile I was ...

Yeah.

We're not through yet.

Here are the mussels steamed in herbs and stock - 

Okay keep 'em coming!
Man, the mussels were sooooooo good!! The herbs kept the fishy smell away, and the stock just brought out the mussels' natural sweetness. I cant empty that whole pot myself if I had the chance :)


Oppa, Thai Style (dipping sauces) hehe

We made all of the dipping sauces ourselves. The One on the left is one made of fish sauce, sugar, fresh chilli and shallots. This was was to accompany the grilled fish (not pictured- could not compete with hungry colleagues and they dug in before I could even take the phone from my pocket haha)

The other dipping sauce is called the "Seafood dipping sauce" - yes, absolutely genius. This is made of lime/lemon juice, fish sauce, chilli, garlic, and sugar - super spicy and tangy! Amazing! I dip the prawns, calamari/squid, mussels, and fish in this. But wait a minute, aren't we missing something?

But how could we forget.

Oysterssssssssssssssssssssssss I have not had these since I came to Australia almost a year ago, so this was a treat for me. Squeeze in some lemon juice or half a spoonful of the Thai dipping sauce before chucking them down - either way is equally delightful. I still prefer the Thai dipping sauce though. 

After all that, we actually also had a pot of soy sauce fish stew and rice as well. 

The best meal since coming to Australia for sure!

Off to bed now - I'm writing this at 3am in the morning and it's making me really hungry. Not good. lol

xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment