8/17/2012

Shyun (Japanese Restaurant) in Carnegie

I went to this restaurant around about 2 or 3 weeks ago with some of my friends after a meeting. I am already a sucker for Japanese food, so I was super excited to go!

The ambience was cozy and welcoming - which reminds me of the restaurants I had been to in Japan. We were there a bit late, so there weren't any tables save for the couple of spaces at the counter. I actually quite liked sitting right in front of all the sushi-making action :)

There was a special for the Shake Rice (Salmon Rice), so being a raw salmon lover, the choice was easy. If memory serves me right, I believe it was around $9-10 but definitely no more than $12

Rice topped with Shake!


This was absolutely delicious!!! Yum yum yum yum. The raw salmon was cut into thin strips then mixed with a sauce (with traces of sesame oil as well?) then placed on top of sushi rice and sprinkled with fresh spring onions. The bowl didn't seem that big, but once you actually start eating it, you get full faster than you think. The freshness of the fish was good, especially at this price range, but don't expect it to be as fresh as e.g. a sushi store selling chirashi sushi @ Tsukiji market. Still, I really enjoyed it!

My friend knew the owner so she ordered some additional sushi that wasn't on the menu -

Torched Salmon Sushi with sweet miso sauce


This was again another wonderful dish! The colors in the above picture have been altered a bit, given that I took this picture with Instagram. But hey, you get the idea. :) The torched salmon went really well with the sweet auce (I'm thinking something along the lines of miso, shoyu, mirin) and I would definitely order more if I knew how to order it! lol

I shared a little bit of my friend's Soy Corokke (not pictured) as well, which I personally liked but my friend did not. I might have been a bit biased though, since I do like soy milk in general.  I also had the tiramisu daifuku for dessert (not pictured - it was way too messy to hold the camera and eat the sticky dessert at the same time) which was awesome! The soft and gooey layer of the mochi matched well with the cool and creamy tiramisu ice cream inside. Yum! Will definitely try other flavors next time.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to visit there again soon. When I do, I'll definitely share my experience here. For now, this restaurant has definitely gotten a thumbs-up from me! :)

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment